Embed from Getty Images
Contributed by Korben O’Brien | Join the Villa Underground team
Villa are back on home soil today as we face Millwall in a 1pm kick off at Villa Park.
LAST TIME OUT
We made it a remarkable nine straight wins on the spin, defeating Bolton Wanderers 2-0 away from home. This was a result that relegated our hosts.
Jack Grealish and Tammy Abraham were the second half goalscorers as Villa bolstered playoff hopes.
Grealish headed home his sixth goal of the season on 47 minutes, scoring in successive away games with a bullet header after a perfect cross from the right by Tammy Abraham.
Abraham pounced 10 minutes later as Grealish turned provider this time with a flick into the strikers path, who bundled the ball into the back of Alnwick’s net.
The only downside of this goal was that it was the last action for Abraham, who exited the game holding his shoulder, seemingly hurt in doubling the lead.
We are now setting our sights on a record breaking 10 wins in succession.
We’ll reach that amazing tally if we can see off Millwall this Easter Monday and, in doing, set a claret and blue milestone.
We now sit on nine consecutive league victories; the first time we’ve achieved that in 109 years.
Embed from Getty Images
Big congratulations to Tammy Abraham, who’s now made it to 25 league goals in this Championship season.
It’s another milestone to be proud of, with Peter Withe the last player to achieve the feat 38 years ago.
Abraham was forced off shortly after he bagged the second goal of the afternoon, and we’ll be keeping our fingers crossed that he’s fit enough to resume his formidable form as we look to continue the campaign via the Play- Offs.
This week Villa face a Millwall side who have only won one of their last six championship games. They find themselves in the midst of a relegation battle and therefore shouldn’t be underestimated.
My prediction for this Monday’s game is that it will be another tough game but i think Villa will have far too much confidence and momentum and will take all three points at Villa Park.
Villa are oozing confidence and on a run of form and momentum ahead of a likely Play-off battle. Whilst ten wins would be an outstanding achievement, Smith may consider protecting key players as important. However, we have seen that Villa’s fringe and rotated squad players give us depth, which will likely be enough to see us victors over lowly Millwall.
- Jack Grealish has earned a higher rating than any other player in the championship ( 7.77) since Dean Smith’s appointment. (Source: Whoscored)
- Villa have won their last four home games
- Villa average over two goals per home game.
- Villa are unbeaten in six home games against Millwall.
- Aston Villa have the opportunity to make it ten wins in a row the first time ever in Villa’s history.
- Millwall are ranked 10th over their last eight away.
- Millwall are ranked 14th based on the last eight overall.
- Visitors are 4th bottom with a 3 point gap to Rotherham.
- Villa are 5th on 72 points. The gap to 7th is now 6 points.