After West Ham thumped Norwich (4-0) and Watford beat Newcastle (2-1), Villa have been cut seven points adrift.
With just four games remaining and a mere twelve points to play for, the relegation trapdoor is now opening.
To keep any hope alive, however remote, Villa simply must beat Crystal Palace.
Here are the key facts and stats ahead of the game:
Aston Villa v Crystal Palace | Sunday 12th July 2020 | Kick Off 14:15 GMT
- Villa go into the game 2nd from bottom on 27 points.
- Palace are in 14th on 42 points.
- Villa lost last time out against Manchester United (3-0)
- Palace were defeated by Chelsea (3-2) in their last fixture.
- They will have two extra days rest over Villa who played Thursday night.
- The visitors have lost their last four PL games.
- Hodgson’s side have also conceded 11 goals in this time.
- Villa are seven points from safety with four games remaining.
- Bjorn Engel’s won’t feature, he’s still out with a hamstring problem.
- Matt Targett may return, but Neil Taylor may be preferred at left back.
- Guilbert is available, McGinn may be rested & Davis rotated with Samatta.
- Former Villa defender Gary Cahill is out with a hamstring injury.
- James Tomkins is out for Palace, but Martin Kelly is available.
- Villa have lost just 2 of 8 games against Palace in the Prem.
- Dean Smith has secured just 2 points from his last 10 games in charge.
- The attack has also mustered just 2 goals in 8 games.
- Villa’s defence have now surpassed the goals conceded when last relegated.
- Villa are on the current longest winless run in the PL.
- Indeed, our last win was against Watford in January.
- We’ve also conceded more than twice, 21 times…
- Palace haven’t lost to a side in the bottom 3 in 13 outings.
- But they do tend to name the oldest side by average age in the division.
- Due to injuries, Palace will likely name pick former Villa strikers Benteke and Ayew.
- Villa can climb to 18th, 30 points and close the gap to 4 points with a win.
- Lose and Villa will have just 9 points available, leaving just a 2 point swing.
A decade of Villa News to your inbox – JOIN TODAY!