In an extrodinary twist of results and events, Villa go into the Arsenal game still with a remote chance of survival.
It’s remarkable given that we’ve only won once since the Premier League resumed and even more so having thrown away 3 points at the death against Everton (1-1).
However, with West Ham comprehensively dispatching Watford and Bournemouth losing to Southampton there’s still a chance. Throw into the mix the decision by The Hornets to send Nigel Pearson packing…well…it’s enough to make you wonder what could happen next.
Ahead of The Villa Underground’s full Match Preview and Team News (available 1 hour before kick off), here are the key facts, stats you need to know ahead of Aston Villa v Arsenal
FACTS & STATS
- Villa are currently 18th, 3 points behind 17th placed Watford.
- There is a 4 goal difference between Watford & Villa.
- Arsenal are 10th and have reached the FA Cup Final – win – they can reach 7th.
- They risk missing out on European football for the first time since 1995/96.
- Villa need not only to win, but to avoid conceding versus Arsenal.
- Villa have won just 8 times this season, losing on 21 occasions.
- Arsenal have won just 5 times more than Villa this term though.
- Although in their last 2 games they’ve beaten Liverpool & Man City.
- A win over Palace and a draw against Everton evidence an upturn in form for Villa.
- However, we have lost our last 7 games in all comps against The Gunners.
- The aggregate score over this period is Arsenal 23-3 Aston Villa. Hmm…
- Although it was 3-2 in the reverse fixture this season, a game Villa should have won.
- Villa are also winless in the last 17 games at Villa Park against Arsenal. Gulp.
- Only West Ham have a lower home win ratio than Villa when facing Arsenal at home.
- Villa must win to retain any hope of avoiding relegation to the Championship.
- Defensively we must tighten up, having shipped 7 goals in the last 5 games.
- The Gunners have fired in at 12 goals in their last 6 fixtures.
- Wesley, Heaton, Engels and Taylor will not feature due to injury.
- Kortney Hause has recovered from injury picked up in the warm-up before Palace.
- Arsenal haven’t lost their last away game in nine years.
- Conor Hourihane has provided more assists for Villa than any other player since 2017.
- Alexandre Lacazette is looking to score in his third consecutive game for Arsenal.
- But they have lost three of their last five since the PL restarted away from The Emirates.
- On the flip side, Arsenal are on a run of 6 wins in 8 in all competitions.
- The Villa Underground predicts Elmohamady/Davis will start over Samatta/Hause.
- Aston Villa League Form: DLLLWD
- Arsenal League Form: WWWDLW
- AVFC Predicted Team: Reina; Elmohamady, Konsa, Mings, Targett; Luiz, Hourihane, McGinn; Trezeguet, Davis, Grealish
- Arsenal Predicted Team: Martinez, Holding, Luiz, Kolasinac; Cedric, Torreira, Xhaka, Saka; Nelson, Nketiah, Pepe
Don’t forget that you can get the Full Match Preview and Team News (1 hour before kick off). Finally, for The Villa Underground football predictions on tonight’s result be sure to follow us on Twitter. The outlook is difficult with a simple lack of victories since the Premier League resumed. However, this is a must win and Villa will need to tear up the form book in doing so – you can currently get Villa at odds of 23/10. Arsenal sit as 11/10 favourites given their recent pedigree, with the draw coming in at 13/5.
Check out our full pre-match coverage here as well as post-mach reaction (including Player Ratings & Report) here.
Don’t forget to SIGN UP to our 100% FREE Villa Newsletter.
A decade of Villa News to your inbox – JOIN TODAY!
Embed from Getty Images
Sources: SportsMole, Sky, Telegraph.