After Villa’s draw with Sheffield United in the opening fixture of the restarted Premier League, Chelsea at the next visitors to head to Villa Park.
Whilst there was much to mull from the goal-less draw (Hawk-Eye anyone?), this is Chelsea’s first game back and follows a number of favourable results for Villa this weekend.
Indeed, defeats for West Ham and Bournemouth provide Dean Smith with a swift opportunity to lift Villa out of the relegation zone. Whilst a victory would obviously be the best case outcome, Frank Lampard and Chelsea stand in our way.
Embed from Getty Images
Full key facts and stats ahead of the game below, along with confirmed team Villa team news:
- John McGinn will undergo a late fitness test after lasting 75 minutes midweek.
- Danny Drinkwater is ineligble as we are playing his host club.
- Engels, Wesley and Heaton are all out injured.
- Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Kante are expected back for Chelsea after injury.
- Tomori and Callum Hudson-Odo are not match fit for Lampards men.
- Villa last beat Chelsea in 2014.
- We have lost 9 out of the last 10 games against the Blues.
- Villa have taken just 2 points from 63 available form the big six sides.
- Tammy Abraham, who fired Villa to promotion, will start for Chelsea.
- It’s unknown if Guilbert will feature due to a knee injury.
- Jorginho is suspended for the visitors.
- Chelsea haven’t won away yet in 2020.
- Chelsea haven’t won oustide of London since November 2019.
- Chelsea have conceded more already this term than all of last season.
Aston Villa side to face Chelsea at Villa Park (Kick Off 16:15pm – GMT)
On The Bench:
Reine (GK), Elmohamady, Taylor, Nakamba, Jota, Trezeguet, Vassilev, Borja, Samatta.
Don’t forget to SIGN UP for our 100% FREE Villa Newsletter.
Almost 10 years of Villa News to your inbox – JOIN TODAY!