Villa head to Selhurst Park in the hunt for a first away win in the Premier League this season.
After a competitive first showing at Spurs, Villa were punished for two errors against Bournemouth, before chalking up a deserved win over Everton at Villa Park. This was followed up with a comfortable annihalation of Crewe (6-1) in the Carabao Cup in midweek.
Our hosts are undeniably present the type of fixture where we will be aiming to pick up valuable points on the road this term.
However, Palace are well drilled and have an experiend boss in Hodgson; but have shown signs of inconsistency too this season.
Eye-brows were raised by Palace’s defeat to newly promoted Sheffield United, before a suprise win over Manchester United. However, this positive with short lived, with the Eagles crashing out of the cup on penalties to Colchester United.
There is an opportunity to build on the impressive victory over Everton and attempt to build a mini-run off the back of midweek cup success.
Smith has been drip feeding new blood into a side that has seen enforced transfer surgery this summer, the rewards of which are now starting to be reaped.
Brazilian’s Wesley & Luiz look well suited to the challenge ahead, with Spaniard Jota demonstrating his worth in delivering a devastating pass to assist Wesley’s first of the campaign last time out in the league.
At the back, we are both solid and carry options to switch between and ultra-defensives or attacking style of play. Frederic Guilbert offers both pace and threat from deep down the right. Mings has been rewarded for excellent form with and England call-up, alongside Tom Heaton between the sticks.
With John McGinn bang in form, Trezeguet and El Ghazi ticking, there are many things going in favour.
Score Prediction: Crystal Palace 1-2 Aston Villa
- A victory would be Villa’s first on our return to the top flight.
- Crystal Palace Form: DLWL
- Villa Form: LLWW
- Villa last got back to back Premier League wins in May 2015.
- Smith will need to address just 1 win in 13 at Selhurt Park in all comps.
- A Villa record of no away wins in 19 PL games also needs to be dismissed.
- Former players Gary Cahill & Jordan Ayew will likely start for Palace.
- Christian Benteke will likely feature from the bench.
- Chester, Kodjia & Targett are all out injured for AVFC.
- Palace have won 2 of their last 8 home games.
- Star man Zaha has scored just once in 16 home appearance.
- But they have the 3rd highest points haul amongst PL teams since February.
Sign up for the FREE Villa Underground Newsletter.