Villa head into this weekends game against newly crowned Premier League Champions, Liverpool, ideally needing to try and get something from the game.
Quite how we do that is another matter.
You can check out the very latest injury updates from Villa Park news here – you’ll find the latest on Frederic Guilbert and Matt Targett.
Separately, our latest Editorial covers exactly what we think Smith and Villa need to do to in order to give ourselves a fighting chance. You can read that here.
Ahead of our full Match Preview (available on Sunday) we have brought together 40 of the key facts and stats below.
Embed from Getty Images
- Liverpool have won 35 of their last 38 Premier League Games.
- Jurgen Klopps side are currently on a 56 unbeaten home run.
- Liverpool have won their last 23 consecutive games played at Anfield.
- The Champions have lost 5 in their last 9 in all competitions.
- Villa have failed to win in the last 8 PL matches.
- Dean Smith is on a run of 6 defeat and 2 draws.
- This means Villa have the current longest winless run in the Prem.
- Liverpool have been winning at half time and full time in 15 of their last 18 games.
- Our hosts have scored at least 2 goals in their last 6 home games.
- Liverpool were beaten 4-0 away at Manchester City on Thursday night.
- If Villa were to beat them, this would be Liverpool’s first back to back defeats since 2015.
- Villa were beaten by Wolves 1-0 at Villa Park last time out.
- Villa have taken just two points from 12 available since the PL returned.
- In fact, we have managed just two points from 24 available, including pre-lockdown.
- Jurgen Klopp played down suggestions he will field youngsters.
- Villa beat a youthful Liverpool team 5-0 earlier this season.
- Liverpool will need to win 5 of their last 6 to surpass Man City’s 100 point record.
- Should they win these 5 games, they’ll also beat City’s 32 wins achieved.
- Liverpool are currently 1st on 86 points.
- Villa are currently 18th on 27 points.
- The fixture will be Liverpool’s first at Anfield since securing the title.
- Klopp’s men thrashed Crystal Palace 4-0 last time on home soil.
- Pre-Match Odds – Liverpool 4/11 – Draw 4/1 – Villa 17/2
- There is a 19% chance of a draw.
- Liverpool have a 72% chance of victory. Villa? Just 8%
- Mohammed Salah has scored 17 goals this term.
- Jack Grealish is on a run of no goals and 1 assist in 9.
- Villa have conceded 60 goals in 32 games. Joint worst with Norwich.
- We are also on a club PL record of 23 away games without a cleansheet.
- Defender Matt Targett will miss out with a hamstring injury.
- Danny Drinkwater and Frederic Guilbert are expected to feature.
- Esri Konsa is nursing a foot injury and hasn’t trained all week.
- Lovren is a doubt whilst Matip is definitely out for our hosts.
- Liverpool have beaten Villa in the last 4 Premier Leage head to heads.
- The aggregate score for these 4 games is 13-3 in Liverpool’s favour.
- More positively, Villa have only lost 3 of the last 9 at Anfield.
- Less positively, we have won just 2 of our last 36 away PL games.
- We last won at Anfield in September 2015 (3-2)
- Liverpool last lost to a side in the relegation zone in 2017 (Swansea).
- Kick Off 4:30pm (GMT) – Watch On Sky Sports.
Don’t forget to SIGN UP for our 100% FREE Villa Newsletter.
Almost 10 years of Villa News to your inbox – JOIN TODAY!
Sources: Whoscored, OddsChecker, ESPN, Telegraph, Football365, BBC, Sky.