We are back on our travels this Wednesday evening as Villa head to Dean Smith’s former side Brentford in a televised fixture at Griffin Park.
Uh oh…Villa and TV coverage….!
An incredible comeback last Friday night saw Villa rescue an unlikely point after we were heading for a demoralising defeat against Sheffield United (3-3).
Villa staged an unbelievable late fightback with goals from loan signing Tyrone Mings and Tammy Abraham in the final nine minutes of the game, before substitute Andre Green headed in an equaliser in the fourth minute of stoppage time.
Villa face The Bees in what is sure to be another tough proposition as Brentford’s league position does not
reflect their recent performances. The hosts are doing ok, winning four out of their last six
Championship fixtures. Villa transfer window target Neal Maupay and Ollie Watkins are topping the
goalscoring charts for Brentford and both will need to be watched closely on the night.
By contrast, Villa have only won one out of the last six matches, drawing three, and losing two.
After making such a remarkable comeback last Friday evening, showing character and a never-say-die spirit, Villa must simply string together two victories and six points in the next two games if we are to have any sort of chance of mounting any realistic playoff challenge.
This is going to be a very challenging encounter for Villa with Brentford in good form at Griffin Park. M
However, despite a concerning 80 minutes against Sheffield United, Villa staging such a shock
result in the latter stages may provide some welcome momentum.
Prediction: Brentford 0-1 Aston Villa – (with Tammy Abraham sneaking it for Villa)
- Brentford last six – WDWWWL
- Aston Villa last six – LLDWDD
- Villa league position 10th (44 points)
- Brentford league position 18th ( 37 points)
- New loan signing Tom Carroll will not travel with the squad to Brentford due to injury.
- Villa have only failed to score in three of their matches this season
- Villa have conceded 49 goals this season. The joint 2nd worst in the league.
- Villa haven’t beaten Brentford since relegation to The Championship (2 defeats & 3 draws).
Contributed by Korben O’Brien | Edited by Dan Rogers
Thank you for visiting The Villa Underground.