Ok. Ok. There’s no need to get carried away here. Even with a victory and if results go in our favour, it’s still a colossal ask to fancy us for the final playoff spot.
But…if Villa could somehow dredge out another win and Fulham were to stutter…who knows?
In truth, Fulham’s (6th) game against Derby (10th) is the most likely success of this midweek round of fixtures. A draw would perhaps be the most favourable or realistic outcome to be hoped for.
Preston (8th), who are in a midst of draws, go to battling Bristol City (21st). It’s hard to see an away win though, given City’s indifferent showing at Villa Park recently.
Then the biggest upset of the evening would have to be Sheffield Wednesday dropping points against the already relegated Rotherham. That would be a shock indeed.
All Villa can keep doing is going out there are winning.
Whilst the wins might ultimately be fruitless for this season, it’s getting us into the right mentality. A mentality that we absolutely have to adopt every single week next season – and there’s no harm continuing the trend against QPR.
- Injuries: Agbonlahor (Hamstring), Hepburn-Murphy (Not match fit), Hogan (Doubt).
- Grealish available for selection after injury.
- Bacuna returns following a 6 match ban.
- Kodjia: 7 goals in last 8 games (all comps).
- Villa on a run of 6 wins in last 7 games.
- Clean sheets in all of these wins.
- Villa have won last 4 home games.
- Villa could do the double over QPR.
- It was 1-0 at Loftus Road.
- QPR haven’t scored in last 2 away games.
- Villa & QPR are the leagues top form sides in last 8.
- QPR have won just 1 in last 6 away from home.
- Villa could rise as high as 9th with a win.
Despite not necessarily playing the beautiful game at times, few would care given the turnaround in recent weeks.
A thankless run of results has been replaced with gradual improvement, as well as a number of January recruits finally beginning to gel. There are also the green shoots of the clubs recovery starting to appear, which is very promising indeed.
With our decent home form, current run, offset against QPR’s poor away results of late:
Prediction: 2-0 to Villa.