Despite the 2020/21 season being 27 games long already for Villa, this is the first time we have crossed paths with Spurs. It’s a quirk of the current Covid climate that there are fixture peculiarities such as this.
Jose Mourinho’s side come to Villa Park after crashing out of the Europa League midweek. Tottenham, who had led by two goals from their first-leg victory, were turned over in spectacular fashion 3-0 by Dinamo Zagreb. This has led to scrutiny for Mourinho [who must consider Villa a bogey side] and he finds himself as the current odds on favourite manager to be next sacked.
For Dean Smith, its a deceptively important test against another of the Premier League’s “better” sides. Further, as the early-season form has evaporated and we now find ourselves amid a clutch of difficult games, we need to steal victories as they present themselves. We certainly cannot afford to gift last gasp equalisers as was witnessed against Newcastle (1-1) last time out.
Villa currently sit 4 points behind Spurs with a game in hand. Victory might once more give us lofty ambitions of a Europe League charge. Defeat or less confirms that the transition to mid-table, after last seasons great escape, is the reality of where we find ourselves.
Cash, Konsa, Mings (C), Targett.
McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, Trezeguet, Traore.
On The Bench:
Heaton, Taylor, Elmo, Ramsay, Barkley, Nakamba, Engels, El Ghazi, Davis.
MATCH FACTS & STATS
- Spurs have won on their last six visits to Villa Park in all competitions – aggregate score = 17-3.
- Villa have won only one of seven league games without Jack Grealish since promotion.
- Emi Martinez could equal Brad Friedel’s Premier League club record of 15 cleans sheets tonight.
- Gareth Bale his first senior hat-trick when he last faced Villa, in a 4-0 away victory in December 2012.
- Spurs are winless in their past 5 Premier League matches without Son Heung-min.
- Dean Smith will be concerned as Villa have won just one of the last six.
- However, Villa have won just 1 of the past 19 meetings between the sides…
- But only Chelsea and Man City have better defences than AVFC this term.
- Last seasons result – Aston Villa 2-3 Tottenham
- Lamela is suspended for the visitors – no suspensions for Villa.
- Injuries: Son is a doubt for Spurs (Hamstring). Wesley remains unavailable.
- Villa Leading Scorer: Watkins – 10 Goals
- Spurs Leading Scorer: Kane – 16 Goals
- AVFC Form – DLWLDD
- Tottenham Form – LLWWWL
- Referee – Mike Dean
- Kick Off – 7:30pm / 19:3pm GMT
- Watch or Stream – Sky Sports (subscription required).